Saturday, March 10, 2018

OSCAR WATCH 2018: THE EVENT

Well, I tied with 2009 and 2014 for my highest amount of predictions correct this year. That is to say I got 20 out of 24 categories correct.

Pretty impressive.


I got Short film, animated and live action wrong - no surprises, they are a crap shoot, you never can tell.

I got documentary wrong, I really thought Faces Places would win, as would a lot of others based on cranky post show posts lol.

And I have never been so happy to get Best Picture wrong. Don't get me wrong, I loved Three Billboard and thought it would win and deservedly so. However, I loved The Shape of Water so very much and wanted it to win, but didn't think it stood a chance. But joy of joy it did!

To re-read my predictions and thoughts, go here.

This years show seemed back on form after last years trainwreck. It sure doesn't have the thrill of it's hey day in the 90s with Billy Crystal. It has a little too much polish.

I find Jimmy Kimmel a little bland, but he knocked out a few decent jokes in his monologue. But there wasn't much I didn't like.

So here are my favourite moments:


Top moment of the night, without a word of doubt, was seeing the stunning Eva Marie Saint on stage, talking about her films. At 93 she glowed from a life well lived, she presented costume and spoke of her blue coat from On The Waterfront, where she acted along side Mr Marlon Brando (sigh) and her stunning costumes from North by Northwest, directed by Alfred Hitchcock and working with Mr Cary Grant (double sigh), her favourite was the black and red floral number, mine too Eva, mine too.

These lovely moments of old Hollywood are why I watch the Oscars and this was a perfect moment.


Also Rita Moreno, 86, and wearing a dress she wore to the 1962 Oscars, was a breath of fresh air. She has always looked fabulous, such is a dancers life!

Eddie Vedder singing Tom Petty's Room at the top was also stunning. A great song but a lost great, and Vedder's voice just gets better with age.

Mary J Blige singing was pretty brilliant.

The montages of winners were great, standing on the shoulders of giants...and a few mistakes...

And the fabulous 90 years of film montage, ending with that perfect ending from Casablanca with Claude Rains and Humphrey Bogart.

A lot of the presenters were bland, but that's not unusual. I loved the pairing of Tiffany Haddish and Maya Rudolph, people are saying they should host, hell to the yeah!

Jennifer Lawrence and Jodie Foster were fun, as were Helen Mirran and Jane Fonda. And Mark Hamill, how wonderful is his renaissance, follow him on Twitter, this is a truly great and generous man!

Some of the speeches this year were amazing, all the acting were great but the two stand outs were Frances "I've got some things to say" McDormand and Jordan Peele.

The joy shown for my favourite films The Shape of Water was stunning, and it made me happy and more than made up for the disappointment that was last years Oscars.

I still miss Billy and where is Jack Nicholson? I am worried about Jack, haven't seen or heard of him in years, I suspect something is gravely wrong. The Oscars are not the same with him in his sunnies in the front row grinning.


I cannot end the post without some fashion, this year there was much to choose from!!!!

Best dressed goes to Gal Gadot, in her flapper inspired silver. 
Go Wonder Woman!


I'm a little over blush tones, but these are pretty lovely all the same.




Shades of blue




Metallic



A splash of colour



Black and white, black, white




The unusual






No comments: